Target Identification and Validation Lead
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are looking for a creative drug discovery scientist with a background in molecular pharmacology and/or molecular and cellular biology, and experience of drug target identification and validation in pharma or biotech. You will make significant contributions to our technology-enabled drug discovery programmes by generating novel therapeutic target hypotheses and delivering robust preclinical target validation data packages. You will apply your deep understanding of biological processes and drug discovery to rapidly move projects through preclinical research and development. Based at our London offices, you will work closely with experts in drug discovery, biological sciences, chemical sciences, artificial intelligence, informatics, precision medicine, clinical translation and commercialisation.
- With a strong molecular and cell biology background and an understanding of mechanisms underlying human disease, you will contribute to the generation and prioritisation of novel therapeutic hypotheses across a range of disease areas.
- You will be responsible for developing and implementing experimental strategies to validate these therapeutic hypotheses using cell-based disease-relevant models.
- Through your knowledge/experience of drug discovery and development, you will critically evaluate validated new targets and new disease areas in terms of short, medium and long term strategies and risk mitigation plans to maximise the chances of delivering novel medicines to patients.
- You will critically analyse and interpret data, define realistic timelines for studies, and meet delivery deadlines within a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- You will contribute to the identification and assessment of business development opportunities as well as fostering external collaborative relationships with academic leaders and contract research scientists.
- You will interact with artificial intelligence and machine learning specialists to further refine and develop our target identification and validation workflows.
- Familiarity with working within small or large molecule drug discovery programmes as a biology representative with a basic understanding of associated disciplines, e.g. DMPK, toxicity/safety assessment and medicinal chemistry, would be desirable.
- Previous experience of working with big data-driven specialists and techniques would be a bonus.
We are looking for someone with
- BSc / MSc / PhD in biological sciences with 3+ years experience of drug discovery with pharma or biotech companies.
- Evidence of creative thinking and problem solving, confidently applying novel strategies to move projects to important decision points quickly and efficiently.
- Track record of significant contributions to shaping project strategies and successfully delivering results to answer key scientific questions.
- Track record of prioritising and initiating new projects and areas of research, integrating data and expertise from multiple sources, with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience in working with academic leaders as well as Contract Research providers: CRO selection, design & agreement of work plans and analysis of data packages would be an advantage.
- Experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary teams, ideally in drug discovery & development environment, with excellent communication skills and the ability to forge productive relationships and collaborations both internally and externally.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage different projects and deliver to defined timelines.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI unites AI with human expertise to discover new and more effective medicines. Our unique computational R&D platform spans every step of the drug discovery process, powering an in-house pipeline of over 25 drug programmes. We advance our mission to reinvent drug discovery by harnessing the power of a diverse team, rich with different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and personalities. In our offices in London and New York and research facility in Cambridge (UK), we work in highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams, harnessing skills across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI, machine learning, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team think about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.