Senior Principal Medicinal Chemist / Project Leader
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are looking for experienced medicinal chemists at Senior Principal Scientist level. As a key part of our Chemical Sciences team, you’ll be responsible for leading one or more cross-disciplinary Project Teams and/or teams of internal and CRO chemists on our Drug Discovery programmes from Hit ID through to Lead Optimisation and Candidate delivery, utilising tech tools to drive down cycle times and identify the best compounds for progression into the clinic.
The successful Candidate will be working to support small molecule Drug Discovery at our headquarters in London. Working with cheminformaticians, computational chemists, AI modellers and Drug Discovery colleagues you’ll devise creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- You will be responsible for oversight of the strategy on one or more Drug Discovery programmes, either via direct leadership of teams of internal and/or external CRO chemists, or through mentoring of the chemistry leads on these programmes in a cross-disciplinary project leadership role.
- With a strong medicinal chemistry background, you will work as a highly influential member of project teams and ideally lead project teams, providing clear strategic direction aligned with company goals.
- With a wide experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary Drug Discovery teams, you will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & DMPK as well as machine learning, computational chemistry and cheminformatics.
- We are constantly looking for new ways to improve the Drug Discovery process so you will have a proactive and positive problem-solving mindset allowing you to contribute strategically and implement ideas to drive projects forward.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role and matrix leadership of cross-functional teams will also be required.
- You will establish and maintain close working relationships with Senior Management for project planning, alignment and delivery.
We are looking for someone with
- You will be an excellent communicator, through verbal, written and electronic media, able to freely collaborate with internal and external colleagues. You will constantly share knowledge with other members of the team.
- In this role you’ll be working with a wide range of scientists and technologists from our Cambridge and London offices as well as an external network of collaborators so you will be a strong team player with an ability to work seamlessly with experts from many disciplines and mentor direct reports.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across e.g. synthetic chemistry, biological and DMPK data, AI predictions and many other areas and a track record of providing innovative solutions to advance Drug Discovery programmes.
- You will possess excellent decision making and prioritisation skills with a strategic mindset.
- At all times a professional approach to work and colleagues must be applied with a mature awareness of the business needs. This role demands an ability to be self-motivated, proactive, innovative, with the ability to devise and implement solutions in a timely manner.
- You will be comfortable and thrive working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and on multiple projects with changing priorities and deadlines.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area
- >10 years experience in an industrial setting applying medicinal chemistry expertise to the successful advancement of Drug Discovery projects to important milestones.
- A track record of significant, innovative personal contributions to the progression of multiple Drug Discovery programmes and the identification of Candidate Drugs
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members is required.
- Previous project leadership experience preferred.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.