Senior Principal Medicinal Chemist
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are looking for a highly experienced medicinal chemist at Senior Principal Scientist level. As a key part of our Chemical Sciences team, you’ll be responsible for multiple teams of internal and CRO chemists on our Drug Discovery programmes from Hit ID through to Lead Optimisation and Candidate delivery, utilising AI to drive down cycle times and identify the best compounds for progression into the clinic.
The successful Candidate will be working to support small molecule Drug Discovery at our headquarters in London. Working with cheminformaticians, computational chemists, AI modellers and Drug Discovery colleagues you’ll devise creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- You will be responsible for oversight of the medicinal chemistry strategy on multiple Drug Discovery programmes, either via direct leadership of teams of internal and/or external CRO chemists, or through mentoring of the chemistry leads on these programmes.
- With a strong medicinal chemistry background, you will work as a highly influential member of project teams and ideally lead project teams, providing clear strategic direction aligned with company goals.
- You will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & DMPK as well as machine learning and cheminformatics experts.
- You will possess a good awareness of current and emerging state of the art technologies and strategies within synthetic chemistry as applied to drug discovery.
- Improve the drug discovery process through proactive and positive problem-solving allowing you to contribute strategically and implement ideas to drive projects forward.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role and matrix leadership of cross-functional teams may also be required.
- You will establish and maintain close working relationships with Senior Management for project planning, alignment and delivery.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area
- 10+ years experience in an industrial setting applying medicinal chemistry expertise to the successful advancement of drug discovery projects to important milestones.
- A track record of significant, innovative personal contributions to the progression of multiple Drug Discovery programmes and the identification of Candidate Drugs.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across e.g. synthetic chemistry, biological and DMPK data, AI predictions and many other areas and a track record of providing innovative solutions to advance Drug Discovery programmes.
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members required.
- You will be comfortable and thrive working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and on multiple projects with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Examples of using novel data analyses or AI approaches in compound design or progression would be an advantage.
- Previous project leadership experience preferred.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI unites AI with human expertise to discover new and more effective medicines. Our unique computational R&D platform spans every step of the drug discovery process, powering an in-house pipeline of over 25 drug programmes. We advance our mission to reinvent drug discovery by harnessing the power of a diverse team, rich with different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and personalities. In our offices in London and New York and research facility in Cambridge (UK), we work in highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams, harnessing skills across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI, machine learning, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team think about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.