Senior Bioinformatics Data Scientist (Precision Medicine Specialist)
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
The Informatics and Data team is focused on applying bioinformatics techniques to drug discovery and precision medicine. We are keen to hear from experienced Bioinformaticians, with a passion and proven track record of integrating and analysing biomedical datasets, to join the growing Informatics and Data department. You will find yourself working as part of a cross-functional team supporting BenevolentAI’s data integration, target identification and precision medicine activities.
- Processing, integrating and analysing biomedical datasets for biological insights that lead to testable hypotheses relevant to Drug Discovery and Clinical Development programmes undertaken by BenevolentAI.
- Developing programmatic tools and workflows that automate the analysis of biomedical datasets.
- Working as a member of a cross-functional team, that brings together the best in class Informatics, AI, Engineering, Drug Discovery and Product capabilities to tackle the scientific challenges BenevolentAI is looking to find solutions for.
- As a member of the Informatics and Data department you will be responsible for defining research objectives and disseminating the latest Bioinformatics and Computational Biology research trends and developments throughout the organisation.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology or related field of research.
- 3+ years experience (preferably industry), integrating and analysing ‘omics and biomedical datasets to directly support Drug Discovery activities.
- A strong external network of contacts across industry and academia to engage in ideas and knowledge share.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels and across all departments.
- Expert at providing the underlying biological interpretation based on the integration of biomedical datasets (e.g ChEMBL, ENSEMBL, UniProt), which can be used to support Drug Discovery or Clinical Development.
- Expert programmer in at least one language. We have a preference for Python, but are also interested in R and Java. Candidates should also be familiar with the language packages that support Bioinformatic, Data Science and Machine Learning activities.
- Proven track record of processing and deriving novel insights from ‘omics datasets and related resources, such as Gene Expression Atlas, GEO, Array Express, TCGA and LINCs.
- Familiarity with module detection techniques (e.g. clustering, latent variable models, WGCNA) and experience with patient-level ‘omics data.
- Experience with using biomolecular network based approaches to aid drug discovery or clinical biomarker development e.g. causal reasoning, pathway mapping and topological analyses of network nodes and edges.
- Familiarity with health resources including genetics and phenotype information related to patients, such as the UK Biobank.
- Experience in processing and analysing transcriptomics datasets using Bioconductor packages (e.g. DESeq2, edgeR, Limma, SVA) and other related toolkits (e.g STAR, Salmon, Kallisto).
- Experience in using technologies we like, which include: Neo4j, GraphQL, BigQuery, ElasticSearch, MySQL, MongoDB, Spark, GitLab, Kubernetes, AWS, KNIME, Jupyter.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI unites AI with human expertise to discover new and more effective medicines. Our unique computational R&D platform spans every step of the drug discovery process, powering an in-house pipeline of over 25 drug programmes. We advance our mission to reinvent drug discovery by harnessing the power of a diverse team, rich with different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and personalities. In our offices in London and New York and research facility in Cambridge (UK), we work in highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams, harnessing skills across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI, machine learning, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team think about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.