Senior Bioinformatics Data Scientist
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
The Informatics & Data team is focused on applying bioinformatics techniques to drug discovery. We are keen to hear from Bioinformaticians, with a passion and proven track record of analysing and refining biomedical datasets, to join the growing Informatics & Data department. You will find yourself working as part of a cross-functional team supporting BenevolentAI’s data integration, target identification and precision medicine activities.
We have one role available in each of the following two product areas:
The Portfolio Delivery team helps ensure our internal analysis tools and algorithms, as well as our data, are used to their fullest extent in our drug discovery programs. It helps structure our drug discovery workflows and devises new approaches to help answer biological questions raised by our various disease programs, for example, to help validate potential drug targets or support the identification of biomarkers. As a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist in the team, you will contribute to this challenge with your technical, data analysis, and biological knowledge, providing technical leadership to our disease programs, as well as support to our drug discovery teams in the identification and progression of targets. In that process, you will identify and implement new methodologies that can make their way into our standard products, therefore contributing to the growth of our abilities as a company.
The Data Quality team is focused on enabling other teams across the company to more readily identify and address data quality issues, through specific quality improvement projects and the development of a data quality management framework. You will be part of the wider Informatics team who are the domain experts for biological, chemical, and clinical data at Benevolent and its application to enable drug discovery in our technology platform.
- Applying the Benevolent Platform to generate biological insights that lead to testable hypotheses relevant to Drug Discovery and Clinical Development programmes undertaken by BenevolentAI.
- Developing programmatic tools and workflows that automate the analysis of biomedical datasets
- Working as a member of a cross-functional team, that brings together the best in class Informatics, Drug Discovery and Translational Medicine capabilities to tackle the scientific challenges BenevolentAI is looking to find solutions for
- Work collaboratively and flexibly to identify, scope, and implement ways to improve data quality throughout the company.
- Identify and develop metrics and evaluation frameworks that can be used to assess the quality and impact of data used in the Benevolent Platform.
- Work together with software engineers to modify production code that powers user-facing tools applied in BAI drug discovery programmes.
- Provide domain expertise in the processing and application of biomedical data within a multidisciplinary team of data scientists, machine learning specialists, software engineers, and product managers.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively across product, technology, and drug discovery scientific disciplines and functions to achieve BenevolentAI strategic goals.
- As a member of the Informatics & Data department you will be responsible for investigating, prototyping, and implementing new scientific capabilities and disseminating the latest Bioinformatics, Data Science and Computational Biology research trends and developments throughout the organisation.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD, or equivalent industrial experience in bioinformatics, statistics or other computational subjects with application to biology OR BSc/MSc with 2+ years experience (preferably industry).
- Advanced programmer in at least one language. We have a strong preference for Python, but are also interested in R. Candidates should also be familiar with the language packages that support Bioinformatics, Data Science and Machine Learning activities.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels and across all departments.
- Experience (1+ years, preferably industry-based) of analysing biomedical datasets which reveal novel biological insights and support Drug Discovery or Clinical Development activities
- Proven track record of processing and deriving novel insights from ‘omics datasets and related resources, such as Gene Expression Atlas, GEO, Array Express, TCGA and LINCs (familiarity with Omicsoft will be considered beneficial)
- At least one of the following:
- Experience in designing experiments to generate data and gain insights into the molecular behaviour of cellular assay systems or patient-derived tissues.
- Experience with using biomolecular network-based approaches to aid drug discovery or clinical biomarker development e.g. causal reasoning, pathway mapping and functional module detection.
- Experience in processing and analysing transcriptomics and/or NGS datasets (such as scRNAseq or epigenetic data) using Bioconductor packages (e.g. DSeq2, edgeR, Limma) and other related toolkits (e.g STAR, Salmon, Kallisto, WGCNA).
- Experience in data integration, e.g. using network-based or ML approaches.
- Hands-on experience working with a variety of biomedical data types, e.g. structured data, unstructured text, genomic data, etc.
- Strong belief in the importance of data quality in powering scientific analysis and applications.
Nice to Haves:
- Bonus points for familiarity with some of the technologies we like, which includes: Neo4j, Jupyter notebooks, GraphQL, BigQuery, ElasticSearch, MySQL, MongoDB, Spark, GitLab, Kubernetes, and/or AWS.
- Basic understanding or experience with machine learning.
- Familiarity with early-stage drug discovery.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.