Principal Medicinal Chemist Team Leader
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
BenevolentAI's extensive and growing pipeline of Drug Discovery programmes calls for us to add experienced chemists to oversee Discovery chemistry projects up to Candidate nomination in a variety of disease indications. We currently have more than 150 Drug Discovery professionals working on 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes and we are looking to grow the team
The successful Candidate will be working to support small molecule Drug Discovery at either our headquarters in London or our laboratory facility in Cambridge (UK). Working with cheminformaticians, computational chemists, AI modellers and Drug Discovery colleagues you’ll devise creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- You will be responsible for defining the medicinal chemistry strategy on one or more Drug Discovery programmes and managing the work of a team of internal and external CRO chemists.
- With a strong medicinal chemistry background and a broad knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, you will work as a highly influential member of project teams, providing clear strategic direction aligned with company goals.
- With a wide experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary Drug Discovery teams, you will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & DMPK as well as machine learning, computational chemistry and cheminformatics.
- If working within our lab-based team in Cambridge, an additional part of the role could be the efficient synthesis of novel molecules making use of modern practical methods.
- We are constantly looking for new ways to improve the Drug Discovery process so you will have a proactive and positive problem-solving mindset allowing you to contribute strategically and implement ideas to drive projects forward.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role and matrix leadership of cross-functional teams may also be required.
- You will establish and maintain close working relationships with Senior Management for project planning, alignment and delivery.
- You will follow our safety standards at all times.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area
- >5 years experience in an industrial setting applying medicinal chemistry expertise to the successful advancement of Drug Discovery projects to important milestones.
- A track record of significant, innovative personal contributions to the progression of Drug Discovery programmes.
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members is preferred.
- You will be an excellent communicator, through verbal, written and electronic media, able to freely collaborate with internal and external colleagues. You will constantly share knowledge with other members of the team.
- In this role you’ll be working with a wide range of scientists and technologists from our Cambridge and London offices as well as an external network of collaborators so you will be a strong team player with an ability to work seamlessly with experts from many disciplines and mentor direct reports.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across e.g. synthetic chemistry, biological and DMPK data, AI predictions and many other areas and a track record of providing innovative solutions to advance Drug Discovery programmes.
- You will possess excellent decision making and prioritisation skills with a strategic mindset.
- At all times a professional approach to work and colleagues must be applied with a mature awareness of the business needs. This role demands an ability to be self-motivated, proactive, innovative, with the ability to devise and implement solutions in a timely manner.
- You will be comfortable and thrive working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and on multiple projects with changing priorities and deadlines.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.