BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations. The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
As a placement student within BenevolentAI, you will be an integral part of one or more project teams and will learn how we use AI approaches to prioritise the best ideas and experiments and then test these ideas in the lab using a range of in vivo experimental & pharmacology techniques with the ultimate goal of identifying molecules suitable to test in clinical studies. We have active projects against a number of disease areas ranging from cancer through to neurodegenerative diseases, autoimmune, rare diseases and others. Our projects are fast moving and some may change by the time you start your placement, so unfortunately we can’t say which disease area you’d be working in, but it is likely you will contribute across a broad range of projects.
You will have a dedicated supervisor to help you learn and get the best out of your placement. Good familiarity and experience with a range of lab-based experimental approaches is required, including having completed (or will be close to completing) an accredited Home Office Personal License (PIL) training course, but you’ll receive full training on the specific laboratory techniques you’ll be using along with associated health and safety considerations.
• You will provide laboratory-based experimental input into one or more projects helping to generate data in the lab to support our AI-generated therapeutic hypotheses.
• You will receive training and learn to carry out biological experiments in vivo which could include:
multiple routes of administration, behavioural testing, ex vivo sample collection and tissue processing, surgical cannulation, disease modelling and others.
• As a key part of a project team, you’ll work closely with others from areas such as AI/machine learning, medicinal chemistry, drug metabolism and in vitro pharmacology to design and co-ordinate project plans and experimental plans.
• You’ll need to record all your experiments in our electronic lab notebook so we have an accurate record of all of your work.
• You’ll have the chance to work with world-leading machine learning/AI scientists to learn how BenevolentAI is applying a range of AI approaches to drug discovery & development projects.
• You’ll share your results with the rest of the team and beyond through written reports and oral presentations and you may also contribute to writing scientific publications or patent applications.
• Your safety is very important to us so, following the safety guidance and training you’ll be given, you’ll be able to work in a way which keeps both you and all those around you safe in the lab at all times.
• You will have completed (or be close to completing) an accredited Home Office Personal License (PIL) training course, and will have a developed understanding of the practical and ethical considerations of in vivo research.
• You’ll have an excellent understanding of your specialist area of study within the biological sciences (i.e. pharmacology), of human biology and how different medicines can be used to treat disease. You’ll be on track to achieve a first class or upper second class degree.
• A desire to learn about how to discover new medicines to treat a range of disease.
• You’ll be a fast learner who thrives in a varied and fast-moving environment, learning, using new ideas and coming up with your own ideas every day.
• We need someone who can demonstrate responsibility with the potential to work independently once trained, though someone who should also not be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.
• You’ll enjoy working in a team and be able to easily communicate with others in your team and beyond to listen and understand the goals of the work, to share your results, to discuss scientific results & conclusions freely and to make new suggestions of future work.
• You’ll be fun to work with and will play a full part in all aspects of your project and broader research at BenevolentAI!
The placement will be based at BenevolentAI’s Cambridge research centre based at the Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge. You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits during your placement.
Closing date: January 4, 2021
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.
It has come to our attention that unfortunately fraudsters have been falsely offering jobs and set-up fake interviews under the guise of being a Benevolent recruiter. We therefore advise you to be very stringent about who is reaching out to you. Any enquiry from our team will only be made via the email email@example.com or an email from this domain @benevolent.ai. Please flag any suspicious contact request to firstname.lastname@example.org