Director of Legal
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We have an exciting opening for a commercially-minded & pragmatic Director of Legal to join our Compliance, Legal & IP team and shape how we scale our support to advance Benevolent’s strategic objectives since its successful business combination and listing on EuroNext Amsterdam in April 2022. With prior experience working in a high-growth technology or biotechnology company, you will be excited by the challenges ahead and relish the opportunity to grow as part of a dynamic and fun team.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending a wide variety of complex day-to-day commercial legal agreements.
- Developing and drafting documentation to support collaboration and licensing agreements.
- Providing general ad-hoc commercial legal support across the breadth of the business.
- Scoping, developing and rolling out a business partnering model to ensure deep integration of the legal team within the business.
- Managing, developing and supporting a small team of stellar legal professionals.
- Supporting the development and roll-out of new products and services from a legal perspective.
- Being a key driver of streamlining existing processes, documentation and precedents, and developing and improving self-service tools for the business to enable the legal team to scale as the business grows.
- Assisting in the provision of regular training to the business and legal updates to the team.
- Assisting from time to time with HR and employment-related legal matters and ad-hoc corporate transactions - bonus points for prior experience of either.
- Assisting with major corporate transactions from time to time.
We are looking for someone with
- 10+ years’ post-qualification legal experience, although all experiences and backgrounds will be given due consideration.
- A mixture of private legal practice and in-house experience is preferred - ideally at least 5 years of this experience will have been gained working in-house in the technology or biotechnology sectors, preferably in a start-up or other high-growth environment (time on secondment is also useful).
- Undergraduate law degree (preferably from a common law jurisdiction), or non-legal degree with conversion and completed Legal Practice Course.
- A solid understanding of the key commercial legal issues facing a company such as BenevolentAI, including applicable licensing, IP creation and ownership and data privacy frameworks.
- Experience in commercial in-licensing and out-licensing deals in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical/life sciences sector.
- Experience in structuring and drafting data licensing and similar agreements.
- A “can-do” attitude and a willingness to learn and exist outside of your comfort zone.
- Interest, knowledge and experience of the technology and biotechnology/pharmaceutical industries and surrounding law and regulation.
- An interest in legal operations and a willingness to identify and implement solutions and processes to drive efficiencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Evidence of a constant desire to drive for results and steadfastly pushing themselves and others for results.
- Making internal customers and stakeholders a top priority and understanding and meeting their needs and expectations.
- Prior experience in line management.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.