Director Assay Development and Screening
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are looking for a passionate leader to join the In Vitro Biology group and head up teams supporting our early drug discovery pipeline. This key leadership role will have responsibility for developing, optimising, establishing and conducting a wide range of biochemical, cellular and translational assays to support screening cascades for our portfolio projects. The ideal candidate will drive the evolution of our hit identification and lead optimisation capabilities through embracing novel assay technologies, enhancing overall processes and actively driving internal and external partnerships.
- Lead and be responsible for establishing and validating in-house screening cascades across the entire portfolio to ensure reliability and reproducibility of screening results and methods.
- Maximise delivery from the team through expert scheduling and coordination of a diverse range of assay formats.
- Provide in-depth knowledge and scientific leadership for biochemical and cellular assays and associated experimental data analysis, QC and reporting.
- Ensure appropriate data capture, archiving and ELN management within the Dotmatics data infrastructure.
- Drive efforts to build cutting-edge automated platforms to execute complex workstreams in a highly efficient manner.
- Build, coach, and mentor high-performing teams while maintaining the highest scientific standards and ensuring timely delivery of results.
- Become a valuable contributor to improving processes and driving innovation.
- Represent the in vitro biology assay development and screening teams through membership and contribution to the Drug Discovery Leadership Team.
- Responsible for forecasting and budget compliance.
- Improvement and streamlining of compound dissolution processes and generation of assay-ready plates at scale.
- Drive best practise in SOP definition and implementation as well as lab-based H&S documentation and processes.
- Develop team strategy as a part of the larger in vitro biology team in order to achieve company goals and drive delivery and efficiencies.
- Drive and coordinate internal and external collaborations with strategic partners.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent in a life sciences discipline with 10+ years of experience in the drug discovery industry.
- Extensive experience in the field of small molecule screening with a track record of delivering complex assay development and high throughput screens.
- Expert knowledge and extensive hands-on experience in biochemical and cellular assays (96 and 384 plate format), associated assay technologies and instrumentation for drug discovery.
- Comprehensive experience with high throughput data management, data flow, analysis, and visualisation.
- Familiarity with robotic automation and compound management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience presenting to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, coach, influence and mentor scientists and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in team representation at leadership forums.
- Proven track record for developing team strategy and driving innovation.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI unites AI with human expertise to discover new and more effective medicines. Our unique computational R&D platform spans every step of the drug discovery process, powering an in-house pipeline of over 25 drug programmes. We advance our mission to reinvent drug discovery by harnessing the power of a diverse team, rich with different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and personalities. In our offices in London and New York and research facility in Cambridge (UK), we work in highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams, harnessing skills across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI, machine learning, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team think about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.