Bioinformatics Data Scientist Internship · London
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are seeking bioinformatics data scientists to join our London teams and apply advanced bioinformatics methods and data analytics to real-world drug discovery challenges. We have identified 4 projects across our Product Areas at BenevolentAI, which each give successful candidates the opportunity to learn more about leveraging biomedical data, developing targeting identification processes and establishing precision medicine workflows, all within an industry setting.
We have one role available in each of the following four product areas:
- As part of the Target Identification product area, you will work on developing and applying state of the art methods that utilise protein structure data to positively impact the advancement of our target identification and target progressibility capabilities. This will include developing programmatic tools and workflows that enable the analysis of protein structure data for the application of target assessment in drug discovery, using scientific methods to validate new tools/workflows developed, and identifying opportunities for further work in current protein structure data pipelines using the latest scientific literature to help potential solutions.
- As part of the Precision Medicine product area, you will work on integrating genetic and genomic data to generate robust causal evidence to inform target prioritisation. You will be contributing to automating and scaling up the pipeline which will facilitate the application of our tools within drug discovery programs. You will be supported by bioinformaticians, AI scientists and engineers. This will include exploring and analysing the genomics and genomics data available in house to evaluate different statistical models, applying advanced statistical genetics methods to multiple datasets and integrating genetic and genomic data to generate robust evidence to inform target prioritisation, collaborating with biology experts to introspect the results and contribute to Python codebases to process and analyse the data.
- As part of the Knowledge product area, you will work on BenevolentAI’s single-cell omics data of complex disorders to support target identification and hypothesis validation. The goal of the project in the Genomics & Genetics squad is to build a standardised data processing pipeline for single-cell omics data and ingest them into BenevolentAI’s Knowledge Graph. This will include work based on FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) data principles. You will work with single-cell omics data, inspect the data content to understand the features, design and implement a standardised pipeline, design and optimise the data model and finally ingest the data into the knowledge graph.
- As part of the Portfolio Delivery product area, you will work to ensure our internal analysis tools and algorithms, as well as our data, are used to their fullest extent in our drug discovery programs. The team helps structure our drug discovery workflows and devises new approaches to help answer biological questions raised by our various disease programs. For example, helping to identify and validate potential drug targets or support the identification of biomarkers. You will contribute to this challenge with your technical and biological knowledge, providing support to our drug discovery teams in the identification and progression of targets.
- Pursue a research project to investigate new approaches in applying tech-driven methods for drug discovery and development.
- Work as a member of a cross-functional team comprising specialists in informatics, engineering, AI, drug discovery and product for applied research.
We are looking for someone with
- A strong background showcasing creativity and persistence in efforts.
- A BSc/BEng, MSc/MEng or PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related field with an interest in data science, or equivalent/alternative commercial or academic experience.
- Familiarity in coding with Python or R and commonly used informatics, data science, machine learning packages.
- Familiarity with biomedical datasets and bioinformatics techniques referred to in the product area descriptions.
- Good communication skills who enjoys working in a collaborative team environment.
Nice to haves
For Target Identification product area:
- Experience with handling protein structure data.
- Basic understanding of machine learning and artificial intelligence and familiarity with the drug discovery process.
For Precision Medicine product area:
- Experience in working with large-scale genetic datasets.
- Experience in post-GWAS analysis and interpretation, statistical methods for causal inference (e.g. Colocalisation, Mendelian randomisation) and gene prioritisation.
For Knowledge product area:
- Experience with version control.
- Experience with databases.
For Portfolio Delivery product area:
- Experience in analysing biomedical datasets which reveal novel biological insights.
- Familiarity with some of the technologies we like, which includes: Neo4j, MySQL, Kubernetes, Jupyter, and with machine learning methodologies and data integration.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email email@example.com. Thank you.