AI Scientist Internship · London
With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
We are seeking research scientists and engineers at all levels of experience to join our team in London to work closely with AI scientists, engineers, informaticians, and drug scientists. As part of your internship, you will apply your machine learning knowledge and engineering rigour to develop and execute a research project around the core problems we work on at BenevolentAI: using machine learning to advance drug discovery.
We have one role available in each of the following three product areas:
- As part of the Knowledge product area, you will work on state-of-the-art NLP methods for Named Entity Recognition, Entity Linking and Relation Extraction. Help us improve (1) our in-house methods for automatic information extraction from biomedical literature and patents, and (2) the way we represent this knowledge so it’s most useful for Bioinformaticians and Drug Discoverers. You will also develop NLP models that can scale to large volumes of data.
- As part of the Precision Medicine product area, you will work on the development and evaluation of methods to identify clinically-relevant patient subgroups leading to actionable insights. You will help us improve how we identify and associate genetic variants with disease subtypes using state-of-the-art machine learning models on genomic data. Depending on your expertise and interest, you can explore: supervised deep learning, unsupervised representation learning, generative modelling or time-series modelling.
- As part of the Target Identification product area, you will apply cutting-edge machine learning techniques to 3D structural protein data to help us improve our disease target identification and validation processes. You will apply your knowledge of the latest deep learning research to improve the state-of-the-art in a relevant application at the intersection of machine learning and structural biology.
- Pursue a research project to investigate new approaches in applying AI-driven methods for drug discovery and development.
- Work as a member of a cross-functional team comprising specialists in informatics, engineering, AI, drug discovery and product for applied research.
We are looking for someone with
- A strong background showcasing creativity and persistence in efforts.
- A BSc/BEng, MSc/MEng or PhD in artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer science, or a related field, or equivalent/alternative commercial or academic experience.
- Strong programming skills (Python etc)
- Experience using tools such as Pandas, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.
- Awareness of, and passion for, the state of the art in machine learning (showcased through projects).
- Good communication skills who enjoys working in a collaborative team environment.
Nice to haves
For Knowledge product area:
- Experience applying modern ML and AI techniques to biomedical data, or clinical data (for example biomedical scientific literature).
- Experience in working with data at scale.
For Precision Medicine product area:
- Experience applying modern ML and AI techniques to biomedical data, molecular data, or clinical data (for example, genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics or EHR).
For Target Identification product area:
- Experience applying modern ML and AI techniques to problems in structural biology or chemistry.
Applications close on Monday, February 7th, 2022. Internships can commence anytime from Monday, June 6th 2022. In addition to your CV, please send us a cover letter.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the apply button and join us.
BenevolentAI (AMS: BAI) is a leading, clinical-stage AI-enabled drug discovery and development company listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. Through the combined capabilities of its AI platform, scientific expertise, and wet-lab facilities, BenevolentAI is well-positioned to deliver novel drug candidates with a higher probability of clinical success than those developed using traditional methods. The Benevolent Platform™ powers a growing in-house pipeline of 13 named drug programmes and over 10 exploratory programmes, and it maintains successful collaborations with AstraZeneca, as well as leading research and charitable institutions. BenevolentAI is headquartered in London, with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?
Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team thinks about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our team will only contact you from the domain @benevolent.ai. If you receive a suspicious contact request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.