BENEVOLENTAI DRUG PIPELINE
ALS affects people of all races and ethnic backgrounds.(1)
It affects as many as 30,000 people in the United States, with 5,000 new cases diagnosed each year.(2)
Increasing incidence and prevalence are reported in different parts of the world.(3)
Only two disease-modifying treatments are currently available(4) but they only extend survival time by 6 months at best.(5)
"We have moved our programmes from AI-identified targets to AI-optimised drug design and we will continue advancing the assets through chemistry and towards the clinic. We are also applying our platform to identify additional targets to treat ALS and other neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson's disease."
(1) National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Fact Sheet. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Amyotrophic-Lateral-Sclerosis-ALS-Fact-Sheet. [Accessed April 2021].
(2) John Hopkins Medicine, ALS. Available from: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/
als/conditions/als_amyotrophic_lateral_sclerosis.html [Accessed 15/04/21].
(3) Longinetti, E. and Fang, F. (2019). Epidemiology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Current Opinion in Neurology, 32(5), pp.771–776. [Accessed April 2021].
(4) Hardiman, O., Al-Chalabi, A., Chio, A. et al. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Rev Dis Primers 3, 17071 (2017). [Accessed April 2021].
(5) Global Data Report on ALS, September 2020. [Accessed April 2021].